Saturday 17 August 2013

Friday 16th August - 110km

So I'm writing this pretty drunk in the main square in Ghent. My plans for total domination of this town didn't quite go to plan. It turns out that going out sharking in shorts, a fleece and cycle shoes isn't the same as in Wycombe. Should've brought some loafers and a collar... 

I am however seeing and interacting with human kind. This is a rare treat. Over the last few days I have gotten very acquainted with my inner voice. Lots of singing rubbish songs, and when that gets too much I resort to vocally talking to myself saying I'm stupid to be singing rubbish songs. Then I laugh at the fact I'm talking to myself. I'm told this is the first sign of a breakdown?...

Fear not though people! My mental state may be a torn rag but my physical prowess remains. I've thrashed out a breezy 120km today. All over flat terrain starting in Nieuwport finishing in the picturesque setting of Ghent. My thoroughfare has been canalside pretty much most of the way. A cyclists dream, flat and well tarmacced, you can hear the tires purr beneath you as you turn over the pedals.

Other than that the scenery is rather repetitive. Fields, canal, cow, fields. Easy cycling but numbs the brain after a while. 

As a tourists guide, a few of the points of interest id like to raise.

1) osteend. Made famous as a retreat from heroin addiction by Marvin Gaye. I'm told he bounded the dunes in his attempt to get clean. However as a town it's hectic and smells of fish. Also, notably I couldn't find a wifi hotspot which was a heart breaker. 

2) Bruges. I bypassed this today. It was always my plan tourist hotspot. For exactly that reason. It's full of tourists. From my osteend experience, a fully loaded bike and tourists do not mix so I eschewed all former plans and carried on. Lunch time and I fell asleep face down, shirt off, dribbling, in a park. I was exhausted. Ungracious, but much needed.

3) Ghent; absolutely stunning! Bruges without the Americans and Colin Farrell. Beautiful architecture a la bruge; like a fairy tale with canals, castles, medieval taverns and cobbled streets. A must if you're planning a weekend away. Beers are also cheap and beer shops open til 4am

So lastly lastly... I spoke to my first sentient being today. A man. Bart was his name. Married, two kids and lived near Ghent. He helpfully showed me the proper route to his home town and rode with me the 15km (he was cycling). A lovely chap and was great to converse properly again. I thought I enjoyed my own company. It turns out I prefer others'. 

Anyway, tomorrow; Brussels, and beyond, hopefully to Aacken in Germany. Lets see how this hangover sits with me...

Bye!! Xx

2 comments: