Friday 23 August 2013

Thursday 22nd August.

Set off early, those freight trains were echoing through the whole valley all night. Washed and cleaned by the side of the road. Lost all inhibitions now, I've truly gone feral. Watched the Rhein flow downstream. Now I realised that rather than riding downhill (because obviously north to south is down right?) I'm following the river uphill to its source. Bugger.

The sun was put today and made quick miles early on. Caught up on more cricket podcasts, pondered whether Geoffrey Boycott and Phil Tufnell would like to take part in a show where they cycle a tandem through trying home-made cakes and talking cricket all day. BBC 3 perhaps. I'd watch it.

I cruised easily into Mainz about 70km away. However not wishing to moan. But I will. I'm getting my first saddle sore a week or so in. I've liberally applied soothin chamoix cream day and night but I'll just have to get used to it. It'll be the first of many I think. I'll have the hide of a rhino by I'm finished. Buttocks like polished mahogany. Sorry I'm fetishising again...

Right, cruised into Mainz. Nestled on the Rhein and the Main rivers. It's a bit of a thoroughfare for all boat traffic and many cruisers have passed up and down. I forgot to add, all along this river there are countless medieval castles perched on the hill tops all around. Unfortunately I cannot be bothered to climb the steps to visit them. Once you've seen one medieval castle you've see them all. And im sure they wouldn't touch Warwick castle. 

Mainz was ok. Nothing special. Some old parts, some new, lots of traffic and I realised my pannier rack was missing a screw so it was rubbing on my wheel. Another bike shop trip was required. 

I passed a Fitness First gym on my way in too! I've got a worldwide pass but never actually thought it worked. I tried and to my amazement I was buzzed through. Sweeeet! I looked a mess and smelt awful. The woman behind the till checked my details because she didn't believe I could afford a gym membership. 

Had a lovely sauna, steam, sauna, steam, ice shower, the full treatment. Was amazing. I felt like i was in a spa. Apart from I was using paper hand towels to dry myself. Less champneys.. 

So I had to wait again for a bike shop to open in the morning. I found a campsite near the centre run by a moody German woman. Cost me 8€ so was pretty good. Had some dinner. Chatted to people about the place; a Dutch guy cycling back from Switzerland. And a man from Canada with his kids. I assume he was a male but I genuinely couldn't tell.. He had a wife but there was something not right.

Relaxed in the eve and was invited for a beer with a random German who lived on the campsite. He was fun and a bit nuts. He loved my plan and bought me a load of beers. We ended up going to a local pub til late as he wanted to show me women... What a guy. So to bed, drunk again. Tomorrows gonna be a struggle.

Oh well, loving it! Off down to Mannheim and Heidelberg to meet an old uni friend. 

Laters all xx

No comments:

Post a Comment