Friday 16 August 2013

Thursday 15th August

 Shorter post today. This social media management is tiring... Also my mum has asked me to keep it clean. Nothing too rude as she wants to show her kids at school. This doesn't leave me with much as I've always aired on the side of bawdy. If you'd like the non pc, unsantized version then your should be ashamed. And send me an email...

Woke up later than planned. Around 9.15. The dog walkers were...walking. I was worried I would be rumbled. I felt like Andy mcnab lying in a sewage runaway evading the revolutionary guard. Or was it Chris ryan...and yes, I likened the French to saddam's henchmen.

Tent packed up, I headed into Calais. Better than I remembered if im honest. My only other real memory of France's 3rd most poor region was as a harbour of cheap booze and carambars. But it's alright! Friendly folk too. Busted out my first bit of proper French. An inquisitive French gent asked if he could pick up my bike. He then told me its too heavy and ill never make it to India. Cheers mate! He was nearly 70 with a gitane hanging out the side of his mouth so we'll disregard his opinion. Regardless, it got me thinking. I need to lose some weight. And yes, insert joke here. Well done.

After getting everything out in McDonald's car park, I made a brutal cull on my toiletries and there was left the factor 50. Too heavy. And that was it. The rest I need. I did optimistically bring 3, nearly 4 books, (if you include the well thumbed SAS survival guide). Weighty tomes at that. I possess the noxious mix of being a slow reader and indecision. I bet you I will barely finish one by India...that isn't actually a bet by the way. I'm going to have to ditch some more things along the way but ill wait to see how the weather and terrain fairs before I make any rash decisions.

So, maccy d's, used and abused. Fired off some texts and whatsapps, used/abused their facilities, felt obliged to buy a cheeseburger. Nailed that and hit the road.  A la direction Dunquerque! Found my groove on the road for the first time, probably averaging around 28kmph on the flats, so soon ate up the miles. Had a nose around Granville, a lovely little town en route. Filled up my bidons (bottles for the heathens amongst you), cracked a gag with the barlady - can you fill these up for me please? Water? No beer... Ha, oh how we laughed... I will definitely be using that again. Tried and tested material...

Got to Dunkirk, again not bad as a town, thought I should check out something historical. On my way out of town along the coast I was immediately brought to halt as I saw one of the many war memorials around this area of France (over 1000 apparently). This was one of those places you visit on a year 9 history trip but at the time had little consequence and you were more interested in trying to buy shrapnel from a gift shop or listening to Chill Peppers' Californication. This time it was different and the loss of life and sacrifice suddenly meant much more. I took my time to walk between graves, helmet tucked under arm, seeing name after name, none I recognised but still it touched me. Many had epitaphs chosen by loved ones and some of those will stay with me. In this relatively selfish quest that I'm on, it was sobering to think of the others before me... 

There we go. My first bit of solemn introspection. I'll try to keep them to a minimum. Im not Ellen McArthur.

So finally passed the Belgian border. It's a beautiful place Belgium and I've never been here before. Cycle paths are incredible and their beers are even better. Just polished off a couple of choice offerings in a pizzeria. There I was thinking I'd go Tee total. Ha! No chance. 

Off to find another place to camp. Tomorrow, Ostend, Bruges and Ghent. Looking forward to it!

Tschuss! 

No comments:

Post a Comment