Sunday 18 August 2013


Sunday 18th August 

Wet, wet, wet. And I'm not talking Marty Pellow. Woke up to rain hammering down on the tent. Braved it outside to take care of some business only to met by 07.15 express from Bruxelles who will have had a nice treat over their coffee and croissant. 

So rain's arrived, sunglasses away. Time to try out my all weather, standard issue camo gore tex jacket purchased from an army surplus vendor online. Once belonged to a certain Private Jenkins. Whoever he was he either died in this jacket or killed many men... I am an accessory to war...however it does keep me dry and cost only £20 so who's complaining?

Over more dirt tracks and cobbled hills in the wet. Slipping and sliding all over, this is getting a little hairy! Nearly stacked it but wrote myself before going into a ditch. 

Need to make it to near Germany today, got miles in my legs and an eye for the border! I can just smell that Vorsprung Durch Technik! A mix of Ruhr steel and Castrol Gtx.

Taken shelter from the rain in a lovely cafe in Leuven. The owners, Daniel and his wife heard my story and kindly gave me a bag of bread, pastries, toms, tuna and bottles of water. What kind folk and I was truly grateful. This is the sort of hospitality I'd hoped for. I've given them my blog address so if you're reading - thanks! 

Again I wound through the maze of cycle paths never really knowing where I was just hoping it was taking me to the desired destination. Time flies by and stands still like this, just staring ahead avoiding obstacles and looking out for the next sign. I can't remember much if I'm honest. I was in the zone just pedalling hard and flying.

I did take some time in those quieter moments to take care of some basic maths. Now calculations are not my strong point so correct me if I'm wrong. But I've worked out that once I've finished I will have turned each pedal 3,600,000 times (I havent written my my workings out - minus points), One of my knees is clicking each stroke too so that's playing on my mind. That's a lot of clicks... My mind does wander a lot and this is what I ponder.

The rain just fell all day. Ate 2 foot long baguettes with extras for lunch in the entrance to the Belgian equivalent to Homebase. Luckily it was Sunday and it was closed. Also did some downward dogs and sun salutations so I'm sure the security will have a laugh looking back through the CCTV tomorrow.

Ditched the cycle paths for the last 25km into Liege. It was taking me all around the houses and I've had enough of the houses. Up and over a few hills and ill be there. Floored it for about an hour and eventually rolled, weary and damp, into Liege. Very pretty with a huge canal running through it. Managed to find another hostel. Washed my clothes, ate lots of pasta and drank a few cold ones...

Another long day planned tomorrow. Early rise and thrash out 90+ miles. Hoping for sun :-/

Laters x

No comments:

Post a Comment