Monday 23 September 2013

Monday 23rd September

After last nights final farewell to Belgrade we woke late with just 5 hours sleep. I had a few things to do, first was breakfast and popped to the shop for bread, chocolate spread and banana plus some rations for the road. The others as usual and as all Germans seem to do, ate muesli. If you're looking for share options I would invest in German muesli, they can't make enough of the stuff to fulfil the domestic demand.

I got a text from kiwi Scott, our old friend from back in Austria. He'd burned through some kilometres and reached Belgrade in good time. So we met him to say hello. He looked well, and had bought a new jumper. We'd all shared stories of how we got here. It's funny to hear how everyone's experiences are different. He'd met a chap from Austria but no woman. I worry for the women in Belgrade.

I did notice in Belgrade that the women were perhaps some of the most beautiful I'd seen, even toppling the mighty Lithuania from the top of the tree. This is apparently because sadly due to the war there is more women than men and as such there's more competition between the women, hence they make more of an effort. I'm not sure I believe this as it was recounted 3rd hand to me from a person who heard it from a drunk Serbian man in a bar.

As a side note, which has no bearing or relevance, I was told by a woman that it was an honour for her to meet me?! Perhaps she'd read the Marlow Free Press, or she thought I was Ewan Macgregor.

Another great thing about Belgrade was the little fishing village just to the north west called Zemun. It's a shabby but charming neighbourhood where you'll find the best fish restaurants in town. There's also great markets to buy everything you need. We did a good shop and were given some free cheese by a friendly stall holder. As I said, nice lot these Serbians.

So after all this we were about done. Packed and ready to roll out of town. Once more we made our way through the busy streets. I have actually realised now that I am a poor map reader and got us lost a fair few times.

The road out of Belgrade was full with traffic, polluted and rose up for about 4km. This was not welcomed by my relaxed muscles and I could have done with a few more kms of flat beforehand. Alas, in the easiest gear I reached the top with views north and south of the Danube and surrounding valleys. I sat and sometimes lay waiting for Chris to arrive. He was travelling at a geologic speed today and wasn't to be rushed.

I've been waiting for Chris most of today. It's a shame we have completely different plans as he's a great guy and makes me laugh a lot. Some of the things he comes out with just makes me LOL. He's also a great duet partner and we were getting very convincing at performing duel roles in the Grease mega-mix. But tomorrow we'll have to go separately and I think for good this time. However I believe that when one door closes another opens. He did teach me one thing that has stayed with me and I've been thinking about it since having knee problems and deciding to slow my pace. It was the motto for a bicycle charity in Africa, "Moving slow, reaching far". I think that pretty much sums up cycle touring.

I did however beat my top speed on a descent from one of these climbs today, 69kmph. I would've broken the 70km barrier if I had more confidence in my brakes. 

So after only 50km of riding, my companion and I chose to find a camp spot before it was dark. It's pretty nice, just next to the river, crickets in the background, cats everywhere and a couple of stray dogs. These dogs bark like mad but once you walk up to them they run off. Stupid things.

So to bed, early start tomorrow. 6am and out of here ready to break the back of this journey. All I can think about now is October 5th: Istanbul.

Night, Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment