Thursday 12 September 2013

Saturday 7th September

Daydream, I fell asleep amidst the flowers, for a couple of hours, on a beautiful day.. This was my day today. Our plan to get up and visit Bratislava amounted to nothing as the sun was shining and we had a long and leisurely breakfast together. Chris and Scott my travelling partners since Linz, and Laura and Anna, our female Catalan contingent sat together and ate honey on bread and boiled some tea. The girls had alreafy been in the town centre in the morning to pick up some bike boxes as they are leaving tomorrow to fly back to Spain.

This gave me some time to realise what day it was and realise what day it was... Well, my phone reminded me.. It was my mother's birthday. I gave her a quick call and it was nice to speak to her. She does though now like to tell me how dangerous everywhere is and my dad just says if its too dangerous come home.. Good old parents, always thinking about the positive side! I reassured them all was okay and ill call them again in a week. But mother dear, if you are reading this you will know I am alive and well.

So no plans for the town centre, maybe we will have a lazy one today. It turns out our once believed hole of a campsite is actually quite nice in the daylight. The armed police on the front gate seemed less threatening, the staff were warm and welcoming and the lake was still and placid. Being the weekend there was a big kayak and canoe competition on the water and was a perfect backdrop to lie and watch the world go by. We decided to swim across to the island in the middle. As always this only seemed a couple of strokes away but we found after 5 minutes it was further than we thought. It didn't help that this lack of feeling in my fingers meant swimming with my hands was pretty pointless. We made it however and watched the people mill about on the other side.

Dinner tonight was a communal effort which began as cooking the last of the pumpkin and finished with everybody making some form of dish, mainly carbohydrates, so we had a starchy medley of rice, pasta, bread and various vegetarian offerings. It's nice to cook and share meals together and certainly beats eating one meal out of your one pot.

Being a Saturday night we headed to the campsite bar. As I'd become accustomed to, beers were a button and crisps cost a corn flake. The musical accompaniment was strictly 80s - I heard everything from 99 luft ballons to club tropicana. Thankfully no stock Aiken and waterman or else I would've left. I don't know why they love 80s tripe over here but everyone sings along. I even spotted the not so convincing butch polizei on the gate cruising with Soft Cell on the police radio. I don't like to try and go after easy targets but it does seem that somebody pressed pause in 1988 and forgot to press play again. 

Anyway, we all had a blast, played some cards and Chris lost so will be making us breakfast in the morning. I forgot to mention dear Christopher was stung on his cheek by a bee yesterday and now looks like elephant man. This has provided me no end of amusement and I've been crying with laughter for the last couple of days...he's taken it well though bless him.

So to bed, a cracking day with some great people. Will be sad when the Spanish girls leave tomorrow.

Til then,

Ciao, ben x

No comments:

Post a Comment