Wednesday 4 September 2013

Monday 2nd August.

A bitter wind woke me this morning. It really picked up off the bend of the Danube and gusted through our tents. I had to get up, layer up and take care of some morning business. I have just realised I left my thermal long johns hanging up in the shower in Passau so I now have no trousers. All in the name of travelling light! I am much lighter though than my current travelling companions. German Chris has everything he could find in his garage. He revealed to me a trowel from his bag. I told me it was for funerals. As I said, there's either an awesome sense of humour or a serial killer hidden within those words.

It was 140km to Vienna and I had planned to nail is in one go. I'd be spinning my legs for 2 days riding at the group pace and they felt very refreshed but still I wanted to get them working hard again. You strangely miss that burning feeling you get after thrashing out some hard miles.

I have noticed how much stronger and fitter I am feeling now. My niggly Achilles injury was passing and although my knee was still clicking like a metronome, it did not hurt at all. After a while you stop thinking of your legs as fleshy limbs but pistons which provide your propulsion. All you need to do is keep them topped up with fuel and water and they'll keep running until they go flat. Top them up again and you can continue until fatigue sets in. Then you eat, sleep and do it again the next day.

My usual required calorie intake has been measured at just over 2,500 kcal per day, so cycling for around 6-8 hours a day I've been able to go nuts with food. However I am losing weight. Certainly on my top half. Pro riders talk about that wonderful moment when they know they are at their race weight when their skin- tight jerseys flap around their arms in the wind. A crazy thought but I can understand this. The guns have shrunk to mere pee-shooters. I'd be very interested to see how much I weigh... I will then know how many ice creams I can get away with each day.

The tow path along which we followed was still quite rural. It's a wonderful thing following a river as you can witness how it changes and the settlements arise on certain points. It is definitely getting more verdant the further we pass down and vineyards break up the cliff sides. With this the towns are more impressive with ornate statues on the buildings, most probably from all of the wine production.

Off to Krems today which is not far. We're chasing tail. Or should I say my kiwi cycle partner is. He's insatiable and in the interest of staying together we're following. 

Just a short one today folks, ill try and put up some pictures as well as most are not friends with me on Facebook to view my galleries.

Cheerio for now,

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment