Sunday 8 September 2013

Thursday 5th September 

A beautiful day today, and only 40km ridden. It was beautiful for many reasons. I woke and opened the zip door to azure blue skies across the camp site, and I knew this would be a fine day in the saddle. Also beautiful because well I've ground to a bit of a halt on the cycling. Yesterday was a rest day in Vienna and today was planned as only half way between our next destination, Bratislava and Vienna.

Our 3 has now become 5 as the two Spanish girls have joined us. They're a welcome a addition even if I do not know the songs that they sing. Singing has become a pretty central role over the last week. Since meeting my company of fellow travellers, the miles have been broken up or even built upon song after song acapella on end until somebody sings another. I have always loved a good thrust of the vocal chords and Chris especially lays down a mean musical number. Our rendition of hark the herald turned a few heads. I never knew my musical medley repertoire would be put to such good use.

Staying on a campsite is always a welcome change meaning that you can enjoy a full shower in the morning. I'm always amazed people being full dressing gowns and slippers to these places as they swan about the sani-block. My one bar of soap has been well used now and is more like a dishwasher tablet. I do however manage to acquire other more exotic shower gels and creams that people leave behind. A cosmetics womble if you were. 

Breakfast was whatever I had in my bag. An orange, an avocado and a bit of jam. Not quite five star so the tummy rumbles after not too much time. Whilst riding you could eat 3 full Englishes and be hungry again in 2 hours. The joys of this, I tell you. I did jump on the scales on a street in Vienna yesterday however and worryingly it said I'd put on weight...I wasn't able to fully derobe however...

Out of town again, us 5 very gently cruised at around 15kmph with our Spanish contingent setting the pace. This was fine with me today however. It seems that Vienna is a big name on the nudist scene as we passed mile after mile of bronzed rear ends which resembled lacquered walnuts basting in the sun. So much so that the cafes were even a non clobber affair. I am however used to such behaviour from my rugby friends.

As planned we stopped in a small town called Orth bang in middle of the Vienna Bratislava path. We also borrowed a couple of pumpkins from a farmers field en route for dinner. With enough time today to enjoy the late afternoon we found a beautiful inlet spot to jump in the water ands kick back. The other side of the rocks, the water raged but we just lolled in the near calm pool beside. It was my first dip after 3 weeks of following water ways and it was heaven. 

We all headed down river and found what can now be places as number 1 on my list of camping spots. A deserted beach area with trees, coves, and fallen branches to climb amongst. After the great floods along here in June the water had risen in some places as high as 3 metres and had carried natural debris all downstream so much was left hanging in trees. It made for a magically haunting setting and was perfect for a fire, food and banjo. Dinner tonight was roasted chicken, pork, potatoes and borrowed pumpkin. All a la Ben. Pucka mate!

Off to Bratislava tomorrow, with Austria done. 2,000km on the clock now and rattling through the countries. Doesn't feel like it will be long until Istanbul where the real journey begins: India by Christmas... Here's hoping it continues like this.

Cheerio,

Ben

1 comment: